Mickey Mouse Santa Hat Cupcakes
These adorable Mickey Mouse Santa Hat Cupcakes will bring the spirit of Disney AND Christmas to your Holiday celebration.
We take a family trip to Disneyland every year at the beginning of December to kick off the holiday season. And as part of this family tradition, we wear the same Holiday Mickey Mouse Ears as we traipse through the park. We were thinking about the holiday baking that we wanted to do this year, it occurred to us that our Mickey Ears Cupcakes would look adorable as a Santa Hat. And boy were we right. I think these Mickey Mouse Santa Hat Cupcakes are my favorite Christmas Cupcakes that we have ever made! They are adorable and perfect for a Christmas Party. And since they are topped with our delicious Best Buttercream Frosting everyone is bound to love them! Merry Christmas from our family to yours!
How to Make the Cupcakes
Step 1: Make a batch of cupcakes. You can use a cake box mix, we have all the instructions you’ll need to make them taste just like homemade right here. Or you can make them from scratch with our yummy Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes recipe. We used chocolate cupcakes but Vanilla Cupcakes would taste great too.
How to Make the Frosting
Step 2: The key to these delicious cupcakes is our Best Buttercream Frosting recipe. It is light and creamy and buttery and super delicious! You will find the recipe and directions here. One batch of frosting will be enough to frost 12 cupcakes. If you used a boxed cake mix, you should have about 18 cupcakes and will need to double the frosting recipe.
How to Color the Frosting
Step 3: Now it is time to tint the frosting. We like the Wilton Color Right Food Coloring. It is concentrated and you can get a bright color without having to use too much food coloring. Put aside 1/4 of the frosting. You’ll use this white batch for the “fur” on the Santa Hat. Tint the rest of the frosting red. To create a pretty Christmas Red we used Wilton Color Right Food coloring in the following amounts:
- Red – 10 drops of Red and 4 drops of Crimson
Putting It All Together
Step 4: Twist open the Mini Oreos and remove the Oreo filling. You will use the chocolate cookie wafers for Mickey’s ears. Load the red and white frosting into decorating bags. The Red frosting bag should have a Wilton 1M Open Star Decorating Tip and the white frosting a Wilton #22 Star Decorating Tip.
Step 5: Gather up your cupcakes. We used a red liner.
Step 6: Using a pastry bag and a Wilton 1M frosting tip, swirl on some red Best Buttercream Frosting – this is the “hat”.
Step 7: Now you will need a Wilton #22 Star Decorating Tip. Using the white frosting, create a circle of frosting around the red frosting hat.
Step 8: Add a dab of white frosting for the top of the Santa Hat. Nestle two Mini Oreo cookie wafers into the frosting for the Mickey Ears. And then use glue dots to affix to white dots on the red cupcake liner for Mickey’s buttons.
Other Christmas Dessert Recipes You Will Love
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1-2 batches of our The Best Buttercream Frosting
- Wilton Color Right Food Coloring - Red, Crimson
- 18 Mini Oreo Cookies
- Wilton 1M Frosting Decorating Tip
- Wilton 22 Star Decorating Tip
- Decorating Bags
- White Dots from a Hole Punch
- Bake a batch of chocolate cupcakes in red cupcake lines.
- Make a batch of our Best Buttercream Frosting. Put aside 1/4 of the frosting. You’ll use this white batch for the “fur” on the Santa Hat. Tint the rest of the frosting red
- Twist open the Mini Oreos and remove the Oreo filling.
- Using a pastry bag and a Wilton 1M frosting tip, swirl on some red Best Buttercream Frosting – this is the “hat”.
- Fill a decorating bag with the white Best Buttercream Frosting and a Wilton #22 Star Decorating Tip.
- Using the white frosting, create a circle of frosting around the red frosting hat.
- Add a dab of white frosting for the top of the Santa Hat.
- Nestle two Mini Oreo cookie wafers into the frosting for the Mickey Ears.
- Use glue dots to affix to white dots on the red cupcake liner for Mickey's buttons.