Classic Macaroni Salad
Always a crowd favorite, this Classic Macaroni Salad is light and creamy and chock full of macaroni and vegetables, it is a must-make recipe for a barbecue, picnic, or family get-together.
This Classic Macaroni Salad recipe has been handed down from generation to generation in our family. We’ve never had a family barbecue or work potluck where this summer pasta salad wasn’t the star. Creamy and delicious, this old-fashioned macaroni salad tastes like summer to us. We hope your family enjoys it as much as ours does!
Ingredients You Will Need
How to Make the Macaroni Salad
Step 1: Chop all the vegetable ingredients and the hard-boiled eggs and set them aside. Cook the macaroni, drain and rinse it thoroughly and allow it to completely cool. Once cooled, add the macaroni to a large salad bowl and toss with the olive oil. (This will prevent the pasta from absorbing too much of the dressing.) Add the chopped Celery, Sweet Pickles, Red Onion, Hard Boiled Eggs, and Green Olives to the bowl.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix the Mayonnaise, Mustard and Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Step 3: Add pepper and salt to taste.
Step 4: Now is a good time to taste your dressing. Once it goes on the salad it’s hard to gauge taste. Add a little of whatever flavor you feel is missing.
Step 5: Pour the dressing into the bowl with the macaroni and vegetables.
Step 6: Mix together until the macaroni is completely covered with the dressing. All done. So easy to make. So delicious to eat!
Expert Tips and FAQ’s
Some people use Elbow Macaroni but we always use Salad or Short Macaroni (sometimes you’ll see it called Ditalini Pasta). That was good enough for Grandma so it is good enough for us.
Macaroni Salad is best served cold so try to refrigerate it a couple of hours before you serve it. You can have it out for a couple of hours at your picnic or barbecue but you need to be careful in high temperatures because of the mayonnaise in the dressing. If you store it in an air-tight container, it will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Salad Recipes You Will Love
- 16 oz package Salad (or short) Macaroni (It is sometimes called Ditalini Pasta)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ cup chopped Celery
- 1/3 cup chopped Sweet Pickles
- ¾ cup chopped Red onion
- 2 chopped Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped Green Olives
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni and then drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Add the macaroni to a large salad bowl and toss with the olive oil. (This will prevent the pasta from absorbing too much of the dressing.)
- Add the chopped Celery, Sweet Pickles, Red Onion, Hard Boiled Eggs and Green Olives to the bowl with the cool macaroni.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Mayonnaise, Mustard, Apple Cider Vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Now is a good time to taste your dressing. Once it goes on the salad it’s hard to gauge taste. Add a little of whatever flavor you feel is missing.
- When the macaroni is completely cooled, pour the dressing into the bowl and mix together until the macaroni is completely covered with the dressing.
- Refrigerate before serving.