4th of July Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate cookies covered with our Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and decorated with pretty Red White and Blue M&M Flowers. These 4th of July Chocolate Cookies will be a big hit at your Independence Day party or Memorial Day Barbecue.
If you are looking for an easy-to-make but sure to impress dessert to bring to a 4th of July party look no further. These Patriotic M&M Cookies combine soft chocolate cookies with creamy chocolate frosting and colorful Red White and Blue M&M flowers. The crunch of the M&M really adds something to the sweet chocolate cookie. Mmmm … mmmm …. good.
How to Make the Cookies
Step 1: To make the chocolate cookie dough, mix together the dry ingredients (including the cocoa powder) and set aside. Cream together the butter and white and brown sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Finally, add in the dry ingredients 1 cup at a time.
Step 2: To make small chocolate cookies that were similar in size, we measured .5 oz of cookie dough on my food scale for each cookie. Roll the chocolate cookie dough into a ball. Slightly press down the cookie dough ball on the cookie sheet. Bake the cookies in a 350-degree oven for 7-8 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool. We were able to make 60 cookies.
How to Make the Chocolate Frosting
Step 3: Now you need to make a half batch of our amazing The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. It is so creamy and yummy and tastes great on these mini chocolate cookies. You can find the detailed directions right here.
Decorating the Cookies
Step 4: To create the Patriotic M&M flowers you will need two bags of Red White and Blue M&M’s. This special holiday mix of M&M’s goes on sale in late spring in most grocery stores and big-box stores.
Step 5: Each M&M flower is made up of 7 M&M’s – one color for the center and a second color for the “petals”.
Step 6: Use a knife to frost the Chocolate Cookies with the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and then press the M&M’s onto the chocolate frosting in the flower pattern shown in the image above.
Step 7: Here are the color combinations we created with our Red White and Blue M&M’s. These Patriotic M&M Cookies are so colorful and pretty!
Other 4th of July Treats You Will Love
- 1 cup butter (Sweet Cream, Salted)
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 batch of our The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Red White and Blue Holiday Mix M&M's - 2 Bags
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Mix in Eggs and Vanilla.
- Fold in dry ingredients.
- Measure .5 oz of cookie dough on a food scale for each cookie.
- Roll the chocolate cookie dough into a ball. Slightly press down the cookie dough ball on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies in a 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool.
- Make a half batch of our The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and use it to frost the chocolate cookies.
- For each M&M flower you will need 7 M&M's. Press one in the center of the cookie and press the remaining six M&M's around the first M&M to make a flower pattern.
- Allow the cookies to set before you store them.